No results found.
The Board of Equalization assists in the administration of property tax, providing an impartial citizen forum for property owners. If a property owner disputes the assessed value of property, the Board of Equalization will hear the property owner's appeal and make a decision. The service is free. Hearings are held on an individual basis consistent with property tax policies established by law. The Board is an independent body organized to adjudicate appeals of various determinations made by county agencies. It is comprised of three citizen members and one alternates appointed by the Skamania County Commissioners to provide an impartial hearing environment that protects each party's due process rights and results in a fair decision. The Board of Equalization hears and decides appeals concerning the numerous types of determinations including: changes to real and personal property valuations; denials of senior citizen/disabled exemptions; denials of home improvement exemptions; decisions regarding historic property; forest land classification determinations; current use determinations; destroyed property determinations; and claims for either real or personal property tax exemptions.
MeetingsThe Board of Equalization convenes on July 15 of each assessment year and continues in session during regular office hours until all taxpayer appeals are heard or otherwise resolved. Hearings are usually conducted in the Skamania County Courthouse at 240 NW Vancouver Ave, Room 18, Stevenson, WA although they may be held, on occasion at the Rock Creek Hegewald Center.
PublicationsPetition forms and other necessary documents are available online at the Department of Revenue or by contacting: Debi Van Camp Clerk of the Board Board of Equalization 509-427-3705 The forms you will need, include:
- A Homeowner's Guide to Property Taxes
- Appealing Your Property Tax Valuation to the County Board of Equalization
- Facts on Washington's Tax Structure: Property Tax Statistics
- Tax Relief for Senior Citizens and Disabled Persons
- Request for Reconvening
- Request for Direct appeal to the State Board of Tax Appeals
- Taxpayer Petition for Review of Current Use or Designated Forest Land Determination
- Taxpayer Petition for Review of Personal Property Valuation Determination
- Taxpayer Petition for Review of Real Property Valuation Determination
- Taxpayer Petition for Review of Real Property Valudation Determination for Leasehold Excise Tax Purposes
- Taxpayer Petition for Review of Senior Citizen/Disabled Person Exemption of Deferral Determination